Soft and flat rotis are one of the common foods for the Indians. However, making several rotis within a short time is not easy. We need to prepare the dough and make a perfectly circular shaped roti. However, to simplify our tasks, the electronic appliance manufacturers have introduced roti makers in the market. Although roti makers have become very popular in recent years, some users do not know how they work. Notably, the beginners have a question- How does a roti maker work? Our guide on how to use the roti maker will help you in solving your queries.
Making the dough(atta) for Roti Maker
- 240 gms. of bread flour for almost 18 rotis
- A bit of salt
- Water- (1 and 1⁄3 cup)
- Melted butter- 2 tablespoons
- Combine the ingredients, like flour and salt. You may use your fork to blend them properly.
- Then, add some melted butter or vegetable oil to the mixture.
- Pour water into it and blend the ingredients with your hands if possible. You must have the right balance of flour and water for making the dough. Use your fingers to do this task correctly. Keep on doing it until there is no trace of dry flour. Dough making is a messy process, and you may need time to do it.
- Make sure that the dough is wet, as you are using the roti maker.
- For five minutes, you can continue kneading the dough. Scrape around your bowl, in which you have prepared the dough. Press the dough with your palms, and this will help in distributing the ingredients in your dough thoroughly. This step also helps in making the roti lighter and fluffier
- Now, you can take a wet paper towel to cover your dough with it. Leave it in this way for half an hour. The moisture from your towel prevents hardness and the problem of crust to the dough. You can have delicious soft roti for your meal.
- Roll this dough and cut it to make balls.
NOTE: To get softer rotis, make sure to use fresh atta rather than refrigerated atta. Refrigerated atta can result in hard and crispy rotis.
How does roti maker work?
1. Turn on your roti maker
You may place this electronic appliance on your kitchen countertop or any surface. Make sure to clean the roti maker with a clean and dry cloth before you use it. If it’s brand new and you are using it for the first time, wipe it off with a cloth and a little sanitizer.
These days roti makers have slip-resistant feet. Turn on its system and wait until the indicator LED lights up. The indicator is to let you know that the maker is hot enough to make rotis.
2. Inserting the dough ball
Once the appliance is hot enough and ready to make rotis, open the lid and put the piece of dough. You must not place the dough in the center of the machine. Place it near the inner hinge. The proper placement of the dough ball prevents it from squeezing out around edges.
3. Making Roti round
Press it down the upper lid of the roti maker. The weight of the top cap will make the dough perfectly round. Open the lid after 5 seconds.
Tip: Recenter the roti for better heat distribution. Make sure to use a cloth or tong to recenter.
4. Continue cooking the roti
Keep the lid open and let roti maker do its magic. You will start seeing small bubbles in the dough within 10 to 15 seconds. Make sure to flip the roti after every few seconds just like we do while making it on gas.
5. Final Step
Close the roti maker’s lid without securing its buckle. Within a couple of seconds, you will see that roti will get puffed up and will automatically push the upper lid.
Open the lip and wait until the roti becomes deflated and flat naturally. Remove the roti from your roti maker and apply some oil or ghee on it.
6. Enjoy your Roti
Your soft and delicious roti is ready to be served within a minute. If you are convinced that the roti maker will change your kitchen lifestyle, then you can refer ten best roti makers in India.
- Switch on the Roti maker, and wait until the light pops up.
- Open the lid of the roti maker and place a dough (atta) piece.
- Close the lid. The weight of the upper lid will put pressure on the dough and make it circular.
- Open the lid in 3-5 seconds.
- The roti maker will be heating the roti, so flip the roti within every few seconds, for around 40-45 seconds.
- Drop the upper lid of the roti maker without buckling it. It will make the roti fluffy.
- Remove the roti from the roti maker and apply oil or ghee on it with a spoon.
- Your roti is ready to be served.
You can refer to this video of how to use roti maker to make rotis:
Within 10 minutes, you can prepare more than 15 rotis with the help of a roti maker. The roti, cooked with roti maker, is also storable in your fridge. You can reheat them using a microwave oven or stovetop. However, it is better to eat the hot rotis instantly after preparing them.
Well, I hope all your doubts are clear about how does a roti maker work. By following the above steps, you can prepare tasty rotis every day within a short time. Roti makers are best for any busy person and trust me; you won’t regret this investment. You can buy branded roti makers from Amazon or Flipkart. Let me know in the comments if there is anything else you want to know about using roti makers. I will be happy to help.